4 EASY STEPS TO SUCCESSFUL NEWS MEDIA PROMOTIONS
· What do you want to achieve?
· What do you want to say?
· What’s your solution?
2. Your message
· identify three – 3 – points you wish to make
· know your facts
· what are the fors and againsts
· anticipate negative questions
· illustrate your point.
· think fast, talk slow
· don’t talk to fill a silence
· rehearse your comments – get your three points into three straightforward sentences
· don’t be afraid to repeat these statements.
· Don’t argue!
· Don’t be late!
· Don’t play favourites with reporters
· Don’t make off the record comments.
DON’T REPEAT NEGATIVE QUESTIONS
Unless you’re doing live to air TV or radio, the questions will almost never go to air – so beware of repeating negative questions or statements.
· AVOID ‘no comment’
Rather, remember the Dan Rather Rule:
1. Yes I know the answer and this is what it is
2. No, I don’t know the answer, but I’ll try and find out for you
3. Yes I do know the answer, but I can’t tell you for the following reasons . . .
TIPS FOR TV
· Be aware of body language – don’t fold your arms or fidget
· No sunglasses or hats
· Stand if the reporter stands
· Avoid stripes or busy patterns
· Avoid flashy jewellery
· Look at the interviewer, not the camera
· Assume you are on camera at all times.
DO YOU WANT
can teach you how to get the news media attention you deserve!